RECOMMENDED CARE PRACTICES FOR PASTORS - In addition to a pastor’s personal spiritual disciplines, we offer this model as practices to consider for Pacific Open Bible churches
STONE PILE COTTAGE - A place of refuge for credentialed ministers of Open Bible. We have provided this Tiny House as a getaway in Eugene, OR for those who need a little break.
Why You Shouldn't Quit the Ministry Right Now Even Though You Feel Like it - by Carey Nieuwhof. 2020 has been tough, but Carey Nieuwhof gives some counsel about the reasons not to give up, and ends the article with three ways to stay encouraged.
Pastor Learning Communities are groups of 5-6 pastors (or pastor couples) who gather once a week for 6 weeks to discuss a book together. This is for lead pastors and staff pastors. The purpose is twofold:
Pastors can sign up for groups HERE
- To continue to develop in our ministry and spiritual life.
- To build community with fellow Open Bible pastors for mutual encouragement, support and prayer. We will all be going through the same book at the same time!
Andy Stanley Resource Library - free resources on many issues such as organizational and personal leadership, vision, relationships, faith & culture, etc.
American Values Atlas - Excellent Demographics information
Thrive Leadership Podcast - interviews with diverse leaders in the church, Christian and business world. Hosted by Ray Johnston of Bayside church.
Carey Nieuwhof Leadership Podcast - Carey is a pastor, a former attorney and church futurist with a passion to help church leaders excel.
If you are sensing the call to ministry and you would like to become a part of the Open Bible family, here are the steps to becoming credentialed: (The full process can be found at the Open Bible website HERE)
1. Click the link below and complete the “Get Acquainted” form
2. Once the “Get Acquainted” form has been submitted, you will receive an email with a link to the full application. You will need the following information to upload with the application:
3. Orientation Videos: You will be asked to watch nine videos (each 20 minutes or shorter) followed by a few verification questions
- Recent photo
- Chronological Ministry Resume
- Contact Information for References (email addresses) – references should include your senior pastor, current or former employer, and denominational official if you are/or have been credentialed with another denomination
- Social Security Number for the beneficiary of the Life Benefit Plan
- INS documents for you and/or your spouse if either of you were born outside of the United States
4. Doctrine Exam: You will receive a link to access the Doctrine Exam. The purpose of this exam is to verify your doctrinal alignment with Open Bible. The exam consists of 21 multiple choice questions and 8 short answer essay questions over 12 topics. The Doctrine Exam is required for all applicants.
5. Interview: An interview will be scheduled for you with the Credential Committee
6. Approval Process: If your application, references, exams and interview are favorable, the Pacific Region Board of Directors will recommend the approval of your credential to the National Board of Ordination.
The IRS provides a tax break for credentialed ministers called the "Minister's Housing allowance." This tax benefit has the potential to save all credentialed pastors on federal, state and local taxes by designating an approved portion of your ministerial income as housing. Many tax-preparers are unfamiliar with the unique tax status of a licensed minister so we encourage you to explore this resource to see how it can benefit you. It also includes the sample text to be included in board minutes.
FINDING YOUR LEADERSHIP VOICE - Kadi Cole. For Women in Leadership. Know how to speak up and what to say, and identify when not to speak without regrets. Learn the skills to advocate for yourself and others. Grow in confidence while keeping pride in check. Discern how to be heard without being resented.